Food is a blessing and a necessity for all of us. To all the foodies out there food is an emotion. We are always ready to explore our taste buds and take it to a higher level every time it is a new dish of food. With technological advancements, as our lives get smoother and easier, the preparation of our food gets affected too. With growing demand comes new variations of foods and techniques to produce and prepare food in a much faster and cheaper way. Along with it comes the consequences like the quality deterioration.
Nowadays people are getting conscious about what they consume and what effect it would have on their bodies. We often see people opting for organic food products rather than inorganic ones. But many of us are not aware of the complete connotation of organic and inorganic foods and how to differentiate between them. In this blog, we will understand the difference between organic and inorganic foods.
Organic Food VS Inorganic Food
Organic foods are those food items that fall under the category where they are produced without using any synthetic-based processes such as chemical fertilizers and pesticides. On the other hand, inorganic foods are those foods that use synthetic best processes to produce their finished products. As we study the definition we feel that organic foods are a much better option to opt for. Is this true? Why organic food? We will get to know a clear picture of these questions in this article.
Apart from being produced naturally, organic foods are those foods that do not contain any chemical-based solvents or additives. They are also not genetically modified. In many countries, special certification is required to list products as organic. Organic farming is farming done in sync with nature and no other man-made substances are used right from sowing the seeds to its harvesting stage. The fertilizers that are used are cow dung, cow urine, waste vegetables, green mulching, etc to provide the required nutrients to the growing plant and also to keep the paste and other plant diseases away.
Everything that exists in the world has its positives and negatives. So, some of the pros and cons of organic foods are discussed as under:
- Comparing the nutrients variant, organic food always takes the top place.
- The organic farming process believes in coexisting within nature. Organic farming includes concepts like multi-cropping, the concept of friend pests to do farming, trap crops, etc.
- Organic farming helps improve the strength of the soil by increasing the carbon footprint and creating an environment for the natural bio-organisms to grow within the soil.
- Organic farming produces less waste and also takes less energy, as all the wastes produced are biodegradable.
- The human body gets disconnected from the harmful synthetics, which can have severe complications when used for a longer duration.
- One of the main concerns regarding the consumption of organic food is related to food safety. As not much scientific evidence is available to support the fact.
- Considering the cost factor, organic foods items are costlier than inorganic ones. The increased cost can be attributed to the increased production cost associated.
Inorganic foods are those foods that use synthetics like chemical fertilizers and pesticides to produce the items. Inorganic foods can also be modified genetically or at a molecular level. This is done to produce cross-breed crops so that producers can produce higher quantities of foods. But there are different regulations that determine the level of synthetics that are acceptable to produce any food.
- Comparing the cost factor inorganic foods are cheaper than organic foods.
- On the basis of nutrients, the number of nutrients fluctuates in organic food but in organic foods, there is a standardized level of nutrients.
- The chemicals used during the production of inorganic foods help control the contamination of dangerous toxins and bacterias.
- There is a debate where people argue that toxins present in synthetic substances are considerably less harmful than the toxins present in organic foods.
- Regarding technology, many argue that modern technology has helped in producing food items safely and in a cost-effective manner.
- The safety of the inorganic food items is still on a questionable level. So no such significant studies have been found yet, especially their long-term effects.
- The nutrients present in inorganic foods are lower than in organic foods.
- Few evidence suggests that organic farming causes long-term damage to the soil, making it difficult for the next crop to survive at a healthy level.
After analyzing the pros and cons here we discuss the major difference between organic food products and non-organic food products;
- On an availability basis, organic food is very limited as there are many fewer farms that are dedicated to organic farming compared to inorganic farming. The main issue here is logistics. On the other hand, inorganic foods are produced in a much faster way and much higher quantities, so the items are easily available.
- Organic foods do not involve any chemicals for longer storage so there is a high chance of getting some worms. This indicates that the product is chemical-free and pure. On the other hand, organic food items remain fresh for a longer period of time, comparatively.
- Organic food items are not so attractive in its appearance, but the inorganic food products would have a shiny effect as it is sprayed with colors and chemicals to increase its shelf life.
- The availability of certified organic products costs time and money. One can also order organic products online, but there is a high chance of getting food that doesn’t look as fresh as it should be. On the other hand, the inorganic food would be fresh and shiny, most of the time.
- Organic fruits and vegetables are generally seasonal and may not be available all through the year. On the other hand, inorganic food is available all throughout the year, due to its production using genetically modified seeds and artificial growth promoters.
Whether we eat inorganic or inorganic food products each has its own pros and cons. No doubt the demand for organic food products is increasing day by day, but due to limited production, availability it becomes an issue.
Steps should be taken to increase the production of organic food products as well as precautions should be taken to reduce the harmful effects of inorganic food products. The best solution is to maintain a balance between the consumption of organic food products and inorganic food products.
When you buy organic food products online in mind to order only certified organic products. Staying healthy and fit is the ultimate concern here, choose your best alternative. Eat healthily, stay healthy!